Taiz Armed Forces Repel Houthi Mobilization on Northern Front
The armed forces under the Taiz Axis repelled Houthi militia gatherings and military mobilization on the northern front of the city today, as the Iranian-backed militia shelled several villages in Maqbanah District west of the governorate and targeted civilian areas in Mokha.
UN Warns of Consequences of Rising Violence, Settlement Activity in West Bank
UN Deputy Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Ramiz Alakbarov warned Wednesday of the consequences of escalating violence and settlement activity in the occupied West Bank.
Tunisian Economy Grows 2.3 In 2Q
The Tunisian economy recorded a growth of 2.3 percent in the second quarter of this year, 2026, driven by improved performance in the agricultural sector and the services sector related to hotels, cafes and restaurants.
Al Nassr Beat Al Fateh 3-0 in Saudi Football League
Al Nassr defeated Al Fateh 3-0 in the opening round of the Saudi Pro League, known as the Roshn Saudi League.
User Name: Password:
FM urges strong UN message to Houthis over 'bargaining chip' tanker
[15/07/2020 07:45]

NY- SABA
Yemen's Foreign Minister urged the UN Security Council to send a strong message to Houthi rebels for holding a dangerously decaying oil tanker (Safer) in the Red Sea as a bargaining chip" against the government.

In a session convened by the Council upon the request of the Yemeni government to address the issue today, Mohammed al-Hadhrami said the session should "send the Houthis a strong signal that this time they must comply."

"The reason behind calling for this special session was simple. We knew that the only way to resolve this potential disaster, which lingered for years because of the Houthis intransigence despite all our efforts, is to put pressure on them and raise the world’s attention to this matter through the Security Council," he said.

"The solution to this devastating disaster is not a difficult one and starts by allowing the UN technical team to access and assess the floating oil tanker."

He said that Houthis had seen "the importance of the Safer tanker to us and the international community and decided to use it as a bargaining chip or leverage in the peace process negotiations with a complete disregard for the potential drastic consequences of this unethical behavior."

The Yemeni government warns the looming leakage of 138 million liters of crude oil from the long stranded and rusty tanker to the Red Sea will lead to the closure of Hodeidah seaport for months, the shortage of fuel and supplies and the rise of prices in Yemen by 800%, and will leave a damage worth USD10 billion over the next 20 years." The various environmtanl and economic damages will affect not only Yemen but the whole region.

Al-Hadhrami said, "We believe that the best course of action is support the latest stand-alone detailed proposal on Safer which we received from the UN Envoy to Yemen, Mr. Martin Griffiths, last month to which we agreed given that it would not be linked to any other issues or processes under discussion.

The proposal consists of three stages: 1) Assessment and necessary repairs; 2) Basic maintenance to facilitate oil extraction; 3) Disposal of the tanker. And that all potential revenue from the sale of oil is to be used as a contribution to paying the salaries of civil servants in Yemen.

The government of Yemen have agreed to this and the Houthis have not."
Addressing the Council president he said, "I am afraid, Mr. President, that settling for merely granting access to the tanker by the Houthis at this stage would not solve the problem and would enable them—yet again—to hijack the issue in the future when the pressure is lifted."


Yemen Victims Network Documents 18 Civilian Casualties in Three Governorates in One Week
Taiz Armed Forces Repel Houthi Mobilization on Northern Front
Health Minister Stresses Need to Enhance Preparedness for All Emergencies
Foreign Minister, Her Saudi Counterpart Discuss Partnership, Joint Cooperation to Manage Common Threats
'MASAM' Removes 7,444 Landmines, UXO, IED Over 14 Days
UK Warns of Dangerous Houthi Escalation, Reaffirms Commitment to Yemen’s Sovereignty
A3 Reaffirms Support for Yemen’s Sovereignty, Unity and Territorial Integrity
Pakistan: Houthi Attacks Threaten Regional Security, Freedom of Navigation and Global Commerce
National Commission Investigates Houthi Attacks on Mokha Port and City
Yemen Condemns Escalating Israeli Settler Attacks on Palestinians in West Bank

About Saba News Agency | Usage Agreement | Contact Us